I thought we would take some time off from developing after the launch of V6 which was a true game changer. But I must admit it was hard to keep our hands off the keyboard 😉
This is by far the richest VarAC release ever. Lots of new features, enhancements and also huge infrastructure upgrade for future scale.
BUT one of the game changers in this version is the BROADCAST features which allows you to send asynchronous (non ARQ) messages to one or to ALL. This allows for the first time a GROUP CHAT! Broadcasts are using the same good old protocol that is used by packet radio and APRS - the X25 protocol.
In addition, beyond the many other new features we developed (see list below), we also implemented a SQL based database (Sqlite) for Vmails (first), and soon for other features. Upon startup, VarAC will convert your existing mailbox from the VarAC_mailbox.mbx file into the new VarAC.db SqLite DB file.
This opens up huge opportunities, for software developers who want to integrate their software with VarAC and extend the echo-system. More features will soon utilize this SqLite DB.
1. This version requires VARA 4.6.5!
2. Relay notifications only works between VarAC 6.2.4 version.
Now lets dig in:
New features in V6.2.4
· VarAC Broadcasts - Sending an asynchronous message to a user or to ALL. (Requires VARA 4.6.5)
· SNR Live graph - see SNR reports of you and your QSO partner on a live graph.
· Pi/Linux compatible mode - Full support of VarAC on Linux/Raspberry using WINE. Read THIS for more details.
· Translation - "right click text -> Translate" in the data stream and it will show a google translate result.
· Edit VMails - that are waiting in your outbox
· VarAC profiles - easily switch between different VarAC configurations for different RIGs. (Settings -> Switch profile)
· VarAC Cluster - run multiple VarACs with different ini & rigs while sharing resources. Great for VMail relays across different bands. Read THIS tutorial for more details.
· QSO Summary - showing summary data upon disconnection.
· Clean VARA buffer - clear a message that is already in the VARA buffer but yet to be sent. Requires a VARA license (requires VARA 4.6.5)